Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Jimmy V classic

Two of the best deals in town are the Coaches for Cancer and Jimmy V classic. Two college bball games, usually with good teams, for only 10 bucks a ticket. Yesterday I went down to the Jimmy V to see the talked about match up between OJ Mayo and Derrick Rose of Memphis. Now I cant completely complaing because the game went into overtime, but I was thoroughly unimpressed with both freshman and their teams. I was expecting to see a Carmelo like performance where in crunch time the stars would take over the game but that never happened. While they both showed flashes of greatness, both have a long way to go from here. I know it is early in the season but I expected more from the hype.

Sidenote: Has anyone been watching Miami U's bball this year. They keep playing good teams tough (ie Louisville) and beat Xavier a ranked opponent. Plus Side Garry is their star player and he's actually pretty good.

Double sidenote: I got sent this little nugget of humor. http://jamphat.com/rap/
ENJOY

5 Comments:

At 12/6/07, 1:25 PM, Blogger Clinton Yates said...

those charts are great. I had seen a few singularly, but not all them, linked as such - fucking fantastic.

On a sidenote, OJ Mayo is so overrated to me it's unbelievable. Small experiment, just take a basketball fan who doesn't follow college bball, and watch a game on mute from a distance, then ask them who the best player on the court is at any point. I sincerly doubt any will mention Mayo's name. Good, standard solid D1 player. That's it.

 
At 12/6/07, 7:00 PM, Blogger Paul Z said...

I loved the Snoop dog with the occurrence of letters. Those charts were tremendous.

OJ Mayo's hype machine broke. He had his skill level set on mediocre, but the hype set on fucking annoying. Out of all sports to see a player be over-hyped, basketball is the least likely to be. Thus far, Mayo has been a complete downer/shocker to me. Maybe it will turn around. Or maybe he has a partying problem in So Cal.

Great post Kyle.

 
At 12/7/07, 11:14 AM, Blogger Kyle said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12/7/07, 11:20 AM, Blogger Kyle said...

I was talking to one of my friends who is teaching English 101 at USC. She told me her friend is teaching Mayo and he shows up everyday for class. However after he sees Tim Floyd walk by and check up on him, he gets up and leaves after about ten minutes. The funny part is that for the ten minutes he attends, he fully participates and is always arguing his point. But as soon as coach is done checking on him he just gets up and leaves. I just thought that was a funny inside story.

 
At 12/8/07, 11:57 AM, Blogger Paul Z said...

A little inside, I know.

Solid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home